Wednesday 25 April 2007

The view from my sick bed...

Oh dear, what an awful week. Dave and I have succumbed to a nasty tummy bug that has left us feeling miserable and tired. Jessicat remains healthy; fingers crossed that she somehow escapes. So reading opportunities have been a bit thin on the ground this week for us all. But I did want to mention how one book we discovered in our libary: Hand Rhymes (collected and illustrated by Marc Brown). These are particularly good for Jess as they satisfy her current yen for rhymes and being able to watch Mummy's fingers moving at the same time...

At our Stay and Play session on Monday, the parents are encouraged to choose a book from a selection to read with the babies at home. Hurrah, more books to choose from! Our first selection is a little board book called There was an old lady who swallowed a fly; a classic kid's poem that I remember from my old childhood. Monday's at the Children's Centre now see us following a curriculum called PEEPs (can't remember what the anocronym stands for), but I know it's about encouraging parents in their role as their child's first educators. I'm excited to be part of this, with maybe just a slight feeling of concern; Jessicat is 5 months old - surely she can just kind of hang out a bit at this age? She's got the rest of her life to follow a curriculum! Anyway, the first session was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

No comments: