Wednesday 18 April 2007

A nice week so far

On Monday, Jessicat and I saw Sarah and Sean. Jess is fascinated by Sean and can't take her eyes off him. Yesterday, Jessicat's Nanny came to spend the day with us, and we had a lovely time.

Dave and I continue to enjoy our reading to Jess, although some more adult material sometimes creeps in to keep our interest levels high. For example, on the go at the moment is The Faber Book of Nursery Verse; no pictures and verse and rhymes that appeal primarily to older and probably literate children. However, we try to inject some silliness and musicality into our readings so that Jess enjoy it.

As for my reading adventures, well, I've started Thinly Disguised Autobiograhpy by James Delingpole, and so far, am finding it very funny.

(Happy Birthday Steve if you're reading this!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HIya
As sure as I am Jessicat loves being read to I'm also pretty sure books are just something to be shoved into her mouth at this stage! :-)
Seriously, I'm sure Jessicat is going to grow up with a love of books, following on in the family tradition!
I am just finishing The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova, a chilling mystery thriller, best way I can describe it is a cross between Dracula and The Da Vinci Code! Enjoyable though.
See you all sunday.

Val said...

Hi Ali

You are so right, books are just chewed at this stage!

Glad "The Historian" is a good read. See you Sunday

Love Val

ps Keep the comments coming; it's great to know our blog has a few followers!

Anonymous said...

Val and I have both been ill with a vomit-inducing bug this week. Jess has managed to escape so far but we are dreading her getting it as we both felt awful.
On the book front I am still enjoying reading "The Bear Snores On" to Jess. She really gets the rhymes and musicalilty of words. I also like "Wide Awake Jake" by Rachel Elliot (ill. Karen Sapp)- lots of words that can be emphasised for maximum effect!
As for my own reading I have finished the Graham Joyce book: "Do The Creepy Thing" an excellent page turner. I will have to explore his other teenage read "TWOC" when I get a chance. I heartily recommend Graham Joyce. He is a fine, inventive and gripping author. His website www.grahamjoyce.net is worth a view too. The updates are always worth a read.
I am now on to a thriller by Karin Slaughter (good name for a thriller writer!) called "Blindsighted". My Mum lent me this as she knows that I enjoy a thriller (Jeffery Deaver, Harlen Coben etc). This is the first I have read by this author but it has started promisingly (and quite unpleasantly). Thrillers are always good to read when you are tired or feeling ill. The majority are good page turners that require not too much concentration...easy to get into!