Tuesday 3 April 2007

Nursery Rhymes

My favourite things to read to Jess. She seems to enjoy the rhythms, the repetition and the general silliness of them, and they are much more interesting to read than most board books. The book I'm reading from at the moment is Dean's Gift Book Of Nursery Rhymes, originally published in 1965 and read to me and my sister when we were children. What I love about this book is that the rhymes in it do not reflect modern attitudes or political correctness at all. They also use old-fashioned language; no dumbing down here. These aren't just nursery rhymes or songs - some of these are POEMs. Pet hate number 1 - nursery rhymes that are tampered with to make them acceptable to the PC police eg: Baa Baa Black Sheep being changed to Baa Baa White Sheep. Aaaargh!

Other notable events of today: Dave has mowed the lawn for the first time this year (yes, that time is upon us once again). Jess and I went to "Baby Bounce and Rhyme" at Keynsham library and for a quick walk in the park afterwards. Jess saw ducks for the first time ever and was suitably amused. Must go - have a bowl of pasta with my name on it waiting for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya

Just thought I'd say a quick hello before the phones start ringing and I don't get a chance.
Love the blog, can read all about what my niece gets up to now :-)

Val said...

Hi Ali, good to hear from you. Look forward to seeing you on Sunday. Got any good books on the go?