Sunday 15 April 2007

This week's reading is....

Oh wow, I notice we have got a comment from Barbara Jean Hicks, whose book we have read to Jessicat. Amazing to think that someone has looked at our blog, and that they live halfway across the world! Thank you Barbara, we will check out our library for your other books.

This week we are reading:
"My First Oxford Book Of Animal Poems" John Foster (love the poems, even though Jess is a bit too young for them really, and certainly a book to return to when she is a bit older)
"Snail Trail" Ruth Brown
"Bear Snores On" - Karma Wilson - I love this board book. It's got just enough of a story to hold adult interest and the bright, bold pictures really catch Jessicat's eyes. Might have to look for a bit more by this writer.
"Playful Baby" Colin and Jacqui Hawkins - board book with simple rhymes and big bold pictures. Board books are great for Jess at the moment as she is getting to the age where she grabs at things and puts them in her mouth.
"Tickle Tickle Tom" Alex Ayliffe - another board book with actions for me to perform to Jessicat.

I'm also enjoying lots of books at the moment. I'm about to start Judi Dench's "My Life In Pictures", which should be enjoyable. I'm also perusing a Penguin Modern Poets book, and am haunted by James Fenton ("They called the sun dismay, my friend, they called the sun dismay...")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm also enjoying reading "Bear Snores On" with Jess. She really seems to enjoy the rhythmic nature of some of the books. They tend to stick with me also. I now know "In the Ning, Nang, Nong" and "Yikkety-Yak" off by heart after reciting them to Jessica.
I'm still plodding on through Ian Marchant's book and still quite enjoying it. I like traditional pubs but haven't quite got some of the more purest attitudes - but then difference is what makes us interesting. I do enjoy the literary and historical references.
I'm looking forward to getting back to some fiction soon though!
My next book is going to be Graham Joyce "Do The Creepy Thing". It's a teenage read. I have read a good deal of Graham Joyce's non-teenage work and thoroughly enjoyed it ("The Tooth Fairy", "Stormwatcher", "Indigo" and "The Limits of Enchantment" spring to mind).
I am also thoroughly enjoying the "Oxford Book of Aminal Poems". There are some corkers in this anthology and I like the mix of poets from Keats to Roald Dahl.