Tuesday 26 June 2007

Summer Reading

And on the go this week, we have:

That's Not My Puppy - Fiona Watt (I can see us reading the whole of this series, as Jessicat is still enjoying books with different textures)
Bedtime for Bunny and Bee - Sam Williams
Pickle and the Blanket - Lynn Breeze (the Pickle books are a new find for us. Jess loves the one about Pickle and his ball).
Peekaboo Baby - a Rhyming Flap Book - illustrated by Kate Merritt
Hat Off, Baby - Jan Ormerod. A very simple book, and one that at first I thought would not appeal to Jessicat - how wrong could I be? Jan Ormerod can do no wrong where Jess is concerned!
Can You Choo Choo Too? - David Wojtowycz

Jessicat can now wave and is desperately trying to crawl; it is so funny to see her with her bum stuck up in the air, going nowhere!

I have just read Can Any Mother Help Me? and was moved by how these brave and intelligent women supported each other through the war and some very difficult times. It was an early precursor to www.mumsnet.com , and makes me realise that despite all our technical innovations and new theories on child rearing, very little has changed really.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd leave a quick update.

I have recently read 'Portent' by James Herbert. A good page-turner and quite prophetic in places about global warming. I won't put any spoilers in here but it has the idea of using plankton to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere which is currently being considered as a viable option (not bad for something written in 1992!). I am now on to 'Kisscut' by Karin Slaughter, a crime thriller. I enjoyed 'Blindsighted' and this one appears to be written in the same easy style, keeping the reader occupied with sudden developments and making them want to to know what happens.

Jess is fantastic at the moment. She is really developing her own character! She enjoys copying a bit more now and likes banging my legs when I tap out a rhythm. She is great at waving and has started screaming (ear-plugs please!). Her eating is coming on in leaps and bounds. She is getting to like more lumpy stuff and had some carrot and brocolli from our Sunday lunch!
Val is doing a fantastic job. Just wish I didn't have to be in work so much...I love being home!