Thursday 14 June 2007

Lots going on...

I've suscribed to Carousel magazine, which is the only magazine I know of that is devoted to children's literature. I found out about it by browsing the website of The Federation of Children's Book Groups. I would love to work for them! Whilst surfing, I also came across the I Can website. I Can is a charity that works on behalf of children with communication difficulties - a worthy cause if ever I heard one - and they produce some very interesting DVDs on how children acquire language skills and how the adults in their lives can support their developing communication skills. Dave and I watched one last night, and I found it fascinating. Wonder how many people know these are available for free (well, 99p P&P).

Some of our reads this week include:

I Kissed the Baby - Mary Murphy (makes Jessicat laugh)
We're Going on a Bear Hunt - Michael Rosen (ok, I know that Jess is a bit young to follow the story, but what better way to celebrate Mr Rosen becoming the new children's laureate?)
Goodnight Poppy Cat - Lara Jones
Dear Zoo - Rod Campbell (we are long overdue in acquainting ourselves with this children's classic).

Jessicat continues to do well. She is now venturing into lumpy food, so a typical day's eating goes something like this:

Breakfast - up to half a weetabix, followed by half a Frutapura
Lunch - something savoury and lumpy
Tea - something savoury, but less lumpy (mutual tiredness at this time of day means I take the path of least resistance - slummy mummy!), a yoghurt, followed by a rusk to practice self-feeding skills.

Jess continues to babble, gurgle and is now showing promising signs of being able to roll both ways. Life is so much better now than it was when she was a newborn; long may it continue.

No comments: