Wednesday 6 June 2007

Summer is here...

I know that summer has really arrived when I need to crack open the Piriton, accompanied with a cool Zirtec chaser. Mmm....I'm not the biggest fan of summer.

However, it does offer the chance to savour life on our new patio, and Jessicat and me have been taking full advantage of this. Yesterday, we were outside and I was singing nursery rhymes (fortunately, all the neighbours were out), and reading Baby Goz by Steven Weatherill and a book from Rod Campbell's Look, Touch and Feel series. Jess loves being outside, and is amazed by the rustling leaves and ever changing sky.

Today we went to our first Baby Bounce and Rhyme at Wick Road library. Seeing how much Jess enjoys my singing(!) and nursery rhymes in general, I have become a vociferous advocate of the importance of rhymes for even the youngest babies. It's amazing how easy it is to learn them off by part - I guess the repetition and rhyme helps here - so that they can be recited at any time throughout the day.

Annoyingly, only limited progress on the rolling front. Jessicat can roll from front to back, but still seems to like a helping hand from Mummy or Daddy. Her second tooth is also coming through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Val is struggling a little with hayfever...and she's only just getting over tonsilittis. Now I understand why it's such a good idea to have free prescriptions for a year after your child is born!
I'm currently reading 'Don't You Know Who I Am?' by Piers Morgan. Val picked this out of the library and I have ended up reading it before her.
It's a continuation of his diaries that began with 'The Insider' a couple of years ago after he was sacked as Editor of The Daily Mirror. That was certainly an interesting read.

This one is about his fairly rapid move towards 'celebrity' status and brings it reasonably up to date with his job as a judge on Simon Cowell's latest show 'America's Got Talent' (or something like that!).
For me it's not quite as interesting as 'The Insider'. The mix of scandal and gossip are there but the key interest of the first book was the issue of the political will that got Mr Morgan sacked and the political fall-out from the publication of the photographs.
Having said that, if you like celebrity and all that encompasses (gossip mainly)this may well be the book for you.

After reading this book you will understand why Piers Morgan is a character that is well liked in some quarters and hated in others. I'm still not sure how much insight there is into him as a person. I believe that you would have to meet him several times to gain that (probably over a mainly liquid lunch in 'The Ivy').
One thing that does come across is the reason he has a self satisfied looking smile on his face the majority of the time. He certainly came up smelling of roses after a reasonably short period of uncertainty. It's not what you know, it's who!