Friday 11 May 2007

What about TV?

Bit of a dilemma for me, this one. I enjoy watching a small amount myself (current favourites are Casualty, Peep Show, Have I Got News for You) and am not in favour generally of a blanket ban on things, as I think this can actually have the opposite effect to that intended. But, but...I've read plenty of articles indicating that TV is bad for babies, and can create an environment where obesity, academic underachievement and aggression can flourish. So what to allow Jessicat to do?

Well, I've decided to opt for the middle ground, and set a few rules for her. A small amount ie 20 minutes or so, in front of Baby TV to allow me to get some housework done is deemed ok. Jess does seem a bit mesmerized by it, and sometimes I need the breathing space to catch up with chores. But, no TV on in the background all day - we are usually too busy doing other things anyway - , no unsuitable TV that is aimed at adults or older children, and absolutely no TV in the bedroom. Ever. End of.

This week's reading includes:
Wee Willie Winkie and other nursery rhymes (illustrations by Lucy Cousins)
Maisy's Bedtime - Lucy Cousins (Jessicat loves the bold and colourful illustrations, and there just the right amount of text for a young baby)
The Gingerbread Man - a Ladybird Touch and Feel book
Spot Goes to the Park - Eric Hill (again, bold and clear pictures for young ones)
Wobble Bear - Ian Whybrow and Caroline Jayne Church (I love the rhymes)

3 comments:

Harp said...

Hi from Japan!

I think if you read enough books you'll find that anything and everything is bad for a baby, will lead to obeseity, malnutrition, arrested development and everything else. I don't think 20 minutes of TV is going to do anything bad, my little boy, now 2, watched and watches some tv but still loves to run and run when he gets outside.

Oh, and my recommendations for books - the ones by Julia Donaldson & Alex Scheffer; The Gruffalo, Monkey Puzzle and Room on the Broom are three that we've got and my boy has loved them for a long time.

Val said...

Hi Bogue

Thanks for visiting our blog and leaving a comment, I love to know that people are having a look. I agree with what you say about parenting books tending to make you a bit paranoid - no one feels guilter than a new mum.

Will check out the books you recommend. Thanks again

Val

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.