Tuesday 21 August 2007

Proud mummy alert

Now, maybe I should be getting out a bit more, but I am so proud of Jessicat today. Yesterday, when Dave was singing "Twinkle Twinkle" to her, she began imitating the actions, opening and closing her chubby little starfish hands whenever we began the song. That made me feel that all the singing, reading and playing we do together is helping her to learn things.

Visited Emerson's Green library on Saturday, and managed to pick up the following books:

Wibbly Pig Opens His Presents - Mick Inkpen. Jessicat's favourite Wibbly Pig book so far; she seems fascinated by the concept of presents (well, who isn't?)

Busy Park - Rebecca Finn. Good sturdy book that Jessicat can actually manage to operate in parts.

I Like It When - Mary Murphy. I do like this writer! Jessicat and I read this, and I imitate as many of the actions as possible. Jess is even able to point to various objects when asked.

Let's Play, Alfie Bear - Catherine Walters. This book is really a bit too old for Jessicat at the moment, so I tend to skip the text and just talk about the pictures at this stage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hugely overexcited when Jess started performing the actions to "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star". I should point out that I wasn't doing the actions myself, as I had her in my arms at the time, so it's a learned process and not just imitation. Jess does a similar thing with one of her books (Helen Oxenbury?). On the last page there are children waving. Jess always pre-empts the page by waving while on the penultimate page...fab!

I think Jessicat is also developing language skills quickly. Her babbling is sounding more conversational and there are definite nuances appearing in her speech....between the screams!

These are exciting times for devoted parents who have hardly been out in 9 months and are skint!

Anonymous said...

Just a quick hello from Aunty Ali.
I'm glad to see my niece progressing so well! Every week when I see her I can see the changes!
I think the parents definitely have a good reason to be proud.

Book wise I'm not doing very well at the moment. I haven't found any good books to read, which is leading to a major crisis for me! I have just finished 'The House at Riverton' which I was hugely disappointed in. I found it rather unoriginal, and bland, for want of a better word!
I'm on the look out now for a good book to take on hol!