Friday 17 August 2007

9 months old

Yesterday, we reached the 9 month point. I am so proud of how well Jessicat is coming on. She can now: wave (pretty much to order), lean her face into ours to give us a kiss, put up her hand to shake hands or high five, turn pages of a book to order, point to some objects when asked (a bit hit and miss this), blow raspberries, babble and sing and scream, feed herself with finger foods, take her weight on her feet and participate enthusiastically in games of peekaboo. No sign yet of crawling, and despite my early excitement a few weeks ago, no readily recognizable words, though lots of approximations of "dada" and "mama", but mostly without meaning still I'm afraid to say.

In some ways, sharing books with Jessicat is more difficult than it used to be, as she is impatient to turn the pages, and nearly always wants to take charge, which means it is difficult to follow any kind of narrative. But, interestingly, when sat on the floor surrounded by toys, she nearly always makes a beeline for one of her board books, amusing herself by turning the pages and fingering the spine or "kissing" pictures of other babies.

I've spent this week listening to The Crane Wife by the Decemberists. I wouldn't normally go for this kind of folk-rock, but the strong melodies and lyrics of this band have captivated me. TV wise, I've watched The Taming of the Shrew from the BBC Shakespeare Re-Told series (I love them!) and I'm reading a collection of Boris Johnson's newspaper columns. Been a bit off colour this week, so I am definitely ready for a weekend with Dave and Jess!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's strange to think that Jessicat is already 9 months old. The first three months seemed to go on forever and the last six have whizzed by! Like Val, I am heatened by how much more interaction we now get from Jess. She is brilliant fun and I long for the weekends so we can spend more time together (and with Val too!).

This week has been a tiring one for no particular reason. I suppose Val has been a little off colour and work has been frustrating. I am looking forward to getting home tonight, cracking open a bottle of red-wine and cooking a bolognese with some tunes on in the background...maybe a bit of 'The Jazz' a new-ish DAB station from the same people who provide Classic FM.

As for reading; I thoroughly enjoyed John Connolly's book 'Dark Hollow' and I will investigate his others when I am through the pile of books waiting to be read. He's a Blue Nile fan too so he must be OK!
I am now reading 'More Twisted' by Jeffrey Deaver. I am not always the biggest short-story fan. I like to explore the depths of character, which is unlikely in a 20-page story. There are some authors however, who craft very engaging stories in the shorter format and Deaver is one of them. Ray Bradbury, Harlan Ellison and M.R. James are others that spring to mind. John Connoly has also written a volume of short-stories too. 'Nocturnes' I think it's called...that will be my next set!

I was quite suprised that Val likes 'The Decemberists'. We don't often share our musical tastes but I enjoyed it on first listen too. Val tends to like lighter/poppier music than me, although we do cross over on the literate pop side with people like The Divine Comedy and Lloyd Cole and on some classical music.

The weekend is nearly here...I can't wait!!