Wednesday 18 July 2007

First words???? (Mummy hops on spot impatiently....)

Jessicat is still waving at people, and is showing signs of perfecting this skill by attempting it with her other hand or when sat down. But, more excitingly, I think we may have our first word! This morning, when Dave was leaving for work and saying "bye bye Jess", she replied "ba ba", and did it again later when I prompted her. Now, I know this could just be coincidence, but I'm hoping it's the start of many a conversation between us. Will keep the blog updated on this.

But to balance this with some not so good news, Jessicat is becoming increasingly fussy about taking her milk. I'm concerned that maybe I'm filling her up too much with solids, so will discuss this with the health visitor. It's good that she enjoys solids though, and courtesy of Heinz's Global Tots range, has even tried her first curry today.

Continuing this theme of firsts, today Jessicat completed her first ever Bookstart Crawl challenge, and has been awarded a certificate, and a free book, Pooky Penguin (author unknown). The certificate takes pride of place in her Stay and Play scrapbook, and I am looking forward to us sharing a new book together.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am certain that Jessica understands quite a bit and am not suprised at her first attempts at a word....which amazed me this morning. Part of it is copying (as she does so well with blowing raspberries!) but when combined with waving saying 'ba ba' does suggest reasoning and vocalisation coming together (and multitasking no less!). Early days yet. We'll look back on this in a year's time, when we can't shut her up, as the start!

Val picked up an excellent selection of books from the library yesterday which I am looking forward to reading to Jess (and started to do so yesterday).

For my own reading I am currently enjoying 'The Secret Of Crickley Hall' by James Herbert...good ghostly stuff. I have recently finished 'That's Me In The Corner' by Andrew Collins which is his third book of memoires from his working life from Sainsbury's, through NME and Q to Radio Times, TV experiences and radio. A very enjoyable read from a person who appears to have his feet firmly on the ground.

Word seems to have got around in work that I am a voracious reader of thrillers and in the last 2 days I have been given four to read: 2 x Mark Billingham, 1 Jeffrey Deaver & 1 by Robert L Duncan. At this rate I'll never get around to my library wishlist!

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions