Thursday 11 June 2009

Not a Thomas fan

I have just seen that Jessicat has opted for "Thomas and the Jet Engine" as one of her reads tonight. Ugh! Whilst I would never openly want to condemn any enjoyment of books she has, these aren't great for reading aloud. I think it is signicant that I can find no mention of the author's name on this book. The Thomas books do have merit when it comes to teaching colours and numbers, but the stories always seem to be so leaden and the characterisation so wooden that these are one of the few books that I don't enjoy sharing with Jess.

We also have a quick pictue book to read called "Zzzzzz - A book of sleep" by Il Sung Na, featuring pictures of lots of animals going to - you've guessed it! - sleep. I am really looking forward to introducing Jess to Dr Seuss and "The Cat in the Hat". I've never read it myself, so it will be new to both of us.

Bit disappointed to see only limited coverage of Anthony Browne's success in the papers. Maybe once he gets going properly in his new post, we will see some more media coverage. Anything that makes a change from MPs's expenses and Gordon Brown's woes would make a refreshing change.....

No comments: