Thursday 7 February 2008

Jessicat's first steps!!!

Yesterday, Jessicat took her first tentative, bumbling steps! I was sitting next to her on the floor reading to her whilst she played her usual game of standing up and then letting go of my legs to balance herself. All of a sudden, she took two wobbly steps forward and fell into my arms, feeling very pleased with herself! Cue much pride on mine and Dave's part, and an immediate phone call to my mum to do some boasting.

I'm also trying to introduce paperback books now, as we've exhausted the board book collections at our local libraries. To start us off, we have:

Jungle Sounds - Colin Hawkins

There's Something at the Letterbox - Jez Alborough. An immediate winner, with Jess signing "more" as soon as I reached the end for the first time, and she is amused by the dad we meet on the final page swinging on his rope and pretending to be Tarzan.

Hello Lulu - Caroline Uff. Jessicat is still attracted to the bright pictures. She can now point to the text on a page when asked to identify which bits are words, and which bits are pictures.

Noisy Poems - Debi Gliori.

I'm now looking forward to seeing if Jessicat's new found mobility (well, a few steps is a start!) leads to a leap forward in her ability to verbalize and communicate with us. This is an exciting time to be a mum!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As usual whenever something amazing happens I am doing something completely mundane.

On this occasion, Jess starts walking and I am running my bath! Val shouts up the stairs 'Dave, come quick' and my initial thought is: how long is this going to take? do I need to stop running my bath?
On discovering the reason for the shout I am carried along in the elation of a couple of tiny steps...and then she does it again! Amazing. There is a flurry of activity as Val phones her Mum, I attempt to get the camcorder working (temperamental) and then try to capture the moment on ordinary camera...all to no avail. Jess is so excited now tht she is getting up on her own, laughing and falling over!
After about 20 minutes of this I retire to the bath to relax and consider such thoughts as 'I'll need to move this higher' and 'we'll have to watch that there'!

In addition to the tentative steps Jess has also returned to reading. She loves the poems in 'Rumble in the Jungle' and the Debi Gliori 'Noisy Poems' book. In the latter she turns to the page with 'The Small Ghostie' on and goes 'Shh, Shh, Shh' then to the poem about laughing animals and goes 'Ha, Ha, Ha'. It gives me a warm glow each time!

As for my own reading, I have read quite a bit recently and am enjoying some teen-reads such as 'The Fearful' by Keith Gray and 'TWOC' by Graham Joyce. I am a big fan of the latters writing, particularly 'The Tooth Fairy', 'The Stormwatcher' and 'Indigo'. I wasn't sure about reading his two teen-books 'TWOC' and 'Do The Creepy Thing' but now I realise that this was just my own prejudice getting in the way of what are excellent books. They are also quite short. I don't know if this is to do with the average teen-attention span but it works very well for the parent of a 15 month old!
Bring on more quality books aimed at teenagers!