Friday 14 December 2007

More signs of toddlerdom...

Jessicat is increasingly asserting her will and preferences and she does not do it quietly. She will be 13 months old this weekend, and toddlerdom is coming upon us quickly.

As I've written before, sharing books is both a joy and a challenge now. A joy because Jessicat seems to understand so much and be able to point to and identify so many objects correctly; a challenge because her concentration span is more limited now she is mobile and there are so many attractions to entice her to explore. One ruse we've employed to get her to sit still for brief periods recently is to ask her to "read" to one of her little plastic figures from In the Night Garden; I wonder if other people think I've gone mad if they hear me say "show Iggle-Piggle the pictures Jess"!

Some of our books of the moment are:

There's a Cow in the Cabbage Patch - Clare Beaton (we've read this one before, and both of us enjoy the rhyme).
Spot Loves His Dad - Eric Hill. Nice to see a book featuring a dad spending time with his kids. Jessicat loves to study the pictures and point to objects for me to name.
Elmer's Friends - David McKee. Featurning the most camp polar bear and lion you will ever see in a book, ever. But Jess loves grabbing the book off me when we get to the page with the kangaroo on it, to make it bounce.
My Shimmery Glimmery Christmas Book - Selina Yoon.

Dave and I are really busy now getting ready for Christmas. Dot and Brian are coming down next weekend, and we have a lot of shopping to do first. We have got our 2 Christmas trees up in the front room, and Jess loves it when we put the lights on. This feels like our first Christmas in a lot of ways - last year's was a colicky blur - so we have some extra celebrating to do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jess is becoming more independent as time goes on and she does very much what she wants to do at present. This involves trying and succeeding in climbing the stairs (thank heavens for stair gates), removing items from cupboards etc and putting them on the floor, or in the case of cereal bars crushing them!

She is an absolute joy now. Her character shines through more and more and she is great company! I have started part-time hours in work and am enjoying spending a whole day with Jess. We have been to the zoo, where she particularly loves the fish, to stay & play and also to the Christmas party at the library, which we both thoroughly enjoyed.

As Val said, reading is a little more awkward now due to other distractions but she still settles down prior to her naps and before going out in the morning. Other times are hit and miss. In addition to the books mentioned by Val, Jess is also currently enjoying a baby einstein book about size. She particularly enjoys pointing out the caterpillar on each page. While not generally a fan of baby einstein products this one does have a little charm!

I have recently read 'The Uncommon Reader' by Alan Bennett which was excellent and has a great last page. I have also enjoyed 'The Good Guy' by Dean Koontz which is a chase style/conspiracy theory book. As with most of Dean Koontz's books this was an enjoyable page turner and well crafted.

I am sadly running out of books in my 'to read' pile so I hope that Father Christmas brings me a few more. I've been a good boy all year!

I am looking forward to Christmas and as it's the first time we are entertaining guests I hope I don't ruin the Chritmas dinner.

My birthday follows Christmas and it's one that ends with a zero this year - I feel that a drink or two might be in order to celebrate!